The daily news can fill us with despair. My Unsung Hero is an antidote to that despair. Each episode reveals what the news ignores: everyday acts of kindness and courage that transformed someone’s life. Listen — and renew your faith in humanity.
When Alice and her sister arrived in Budapest, exhausted, a young man on the street offered a hand.
After Rebecca left an abusive relationship, she felt broken. She told her counselor, "I can't do this." Then her counselor told her something that she will never forget.
Ken Wilcox's life felt hopeless, like there was nowhere left to turn. Then a simple act from a stranger on the street changed his perspective, and his life.
After Brandon, a teacher, learned that his new niece was delivered stillborn, his entire school was informed of the loss. None of his students talked to him the next day — except for one young student named Marissa.
When Justin's tire blew out in 2010, no one stopped to help. Just when he was about to give up, a van pulled over.
Lauryn and her fiance were in danger of drowning when a surfer came to their rescue.
Subscribe to the My Unsung Hero Podcast on your favorite podcast player so you never miss an episode.
Go behind the scenes, see what Shankar is reading and find more useful resources and links.
If you’d like to submit an Unsung Hero for use on the show, please record it and click the button below to email it to [email protected]
Find a quiet room and open a recording app on your phone. (Here are tips on how to record yourself properly.)
Speaking in full sentences, please tell us about your Unsung Hero. No need to write down your story and read it from paper— speaking conversationally is best. A recording of 3-5 minutes is plenty. Your story should include (but does not need to be limited to):
- Your full name and where you’re from.
- The full name of your Unsung Hero, if you know it.
- A description of the person. What are some of their defining characteristics? What do they look like, talk like? Paint us a picture of them.
- A particular moment or event that prompted you to make this person your Unsung Hero. Tell us as much about that event as you can remember — what the scene was like, and what emotions you felt.
- Did you have a chance to thank them?
- If they were standing in front of you right now, what would you say?
- How does this person continue to impact you and your life?