The daily news can fill us with despair. My Unsung Hero is an antidote to that despair. Each episode reveals what the news ignores: everyday acts of kindness and courage that transformed someone’s life. Listen — and renew your faith in humanity.
In 2014, Wil was being treated for severe depression at an inpatient mental health program. One day, his therapist issued a challenge that renewed his sense of purpose.
Mike fell on the sidewalk, and wasn't able to get up on his own. Then a kind stranger asked how he could help.
Before going India, Sri warned her daughter to watch out for people trying to steal from them. But when they got there, the opposite happened.
As Laura undergoes chemotherapy, an X-ray technician says something that makes her feel less self-conscious about her appearance.
When he was a teenager, Bob received some helpful advice from an unlikely source.
After a tropical storm in Houston destroyed all of young Sarah's books, a librarian from across the country sent her a beautiful book to rebuild her collection.
Subscribe to the My Unsung Hero Podcast on your favorite podcast player so you never miss an episode.
Go behind the scenes, see what Shankar is reading and find more useful resources and links.
If you’d like to submit an Unsung Hero for use on the show, please record it and click the button below to email it to [email protected]
Find a quiet room and open a recording app on your phone. (Here are tips on how to record yourself properly.)
Speaking in full sentences, please tell us about your Unsung Hero. No need to write down your story and read it from paper— speaking conversationally is best. A recording of 3-5 minutes is plenty. Your story should include (but does not need to be limited to):
- Your full name and where you’re from.
- The full name of your Unsung Hero, if you know it.
- A description of the person. What are some of their defining characteristics? What do they look like, talk like? Paint us a picture of them.
- A particular moment or event that prompted you to make this person your Unsung Hero. Tell us as much about that event as you can remember — what the scene was like, and what emotions you felt.
- Did you have a chance to thank them?
- If they were standing in front of you right now, what would you say?
- How does this person continue to impact you and your life?